Wednesday, May 03, 2006

What's your name?

One of the questions I hear most often is, “So how did you get the name Crow?”

It’s something I chose. I have several totem animals, and the three closest to me are Horse, Cat and Crow. As time flows on, Horse has evolved into Unicorn, representing my healing work. Cat has grown to become Tiger, as I have grown in my warriorship. Crow stayed herself, placidly waiting for me to get with the program.

In Native American lore, the Crow is always curious. Once, in her quest for understanding, she aggravated her own shadow so much that it swallowed her. Having no shadow is a sign of a spirit, but Crow had not actually died. Her unique status gave her the unusual ability to travel through the veil between the worlds and listen to the song of the Great Spirit.

When Spirit took notice that Crow would return to this realm and share what she had heard, he gave her a loud voice, so that many could hear her. I believe that Crow is waiting for me, encouraging me to share my truth, as I have heard it from this world and the worlds next door. To support this stage of my growth, and knowing that it could be some time before it is complete, I have chosen to bear her name as my name.

Namaste,
L Crow Mitchell

No comments: